Bose – Better Content Through Data
Driving reappraisal of Bose Headphones through data driven storytelling. Delivered via a unique three way partnership between Vice, Spotify and Facebook.
- Headphones have become defined by fashion and colour, ironic because the product benefit is the sound they produce.
- Bose’s mantra is ‘Better Sound Through Research’ but it’s a brand that’s brilliant rather than cool.
- With Bose about to launch its first fashion headphones, our goal was to make it both brilliant AND cool.
Our idea was to make its mantra relevant to millennials by celebrating great music, creating content that would earn newsfeed minutes and forcing consumers to reassess.
We’d power this content with a dataset that had never been accessed before – Spotify’s unique insights into what the world streams.
- Spotify’s listening data helped us uncover hidden musical movements from around the world – identifying trends that were now, real and undiscovered.
- We teamed up with Vice and Facebook to create, distribute and target our message.
- Vice turned our insights into beautiful content, narrated by a media brand that knew our audience of millennials better than anyone.
These cutting edge films would be backed up by an avalanche of accompaniments, relevant infographics and gifs delivered via Facebook and Tumblr.
Facebook would ensure our stories gained a place in the only media that mattered to our target: their newsfeed.
To get millennials’ attention we created engaging, authentic, documentary-style content, using the listening data to shape two key properties, developed by Vice into compelling films distributed via Facebook:
- ‘Scene Unseen’ looked at unexpected music scenes; from the burgeoning dancehall scene in Japan to India’s underground electro movement.
- ‘Behind The Sound’ featured intimate interviews with artists such as The Hives.
We also turned the Spotify data into interesting infographics appealing to music lovers. This short-form content delivered more frequent stories through Facebook and Tumblr.
We closed the loop to purchase with direct response copy leading to the product page.
We gave the Bose brand a youthful voice, shifted its perception whilst ensuring its new headphones benefitted in store.
The #listenforyourself videos have so far been seen more than 25 million times across all platforms and continue to be watched.
We created brand new partnerships, uncovered fresh data and made the most of every morsel of content we got out of it.