Nikon 1 – Experience 1
To help Nikon making its new target aware about the brand new range of products, Mediacom created a tailor-made strategy with premium content
For the launching of the new range of products « Nikon 1 », our main objective was to help Nikon reach a younger target of consumers and attenuate the “professional and expert” image that has been chasing the brand for years.
We decided to create a specific content highlighting the characteristics of the brand new “Nikon 1” range, using a Playful, artistic, expert and young positioning in order to rejuvenate the brand image and demonstrate the quality of the products in a fresh new way.
The Mediacom strategy was to put Nikon into a new universe: “the playful expert”.
To reach this goal, we needed to create specific content for our new target. It had to be fun and capable of generating buzz on the internet: that’s why we chose to create a short program called “Experience 1” in collaboration with different groups of photographers’ enthusiasts.
We dealed with Extrabox and Endemol and released an 8 episodes Web-serie.
We selected Abdel Bounane to host this content, a famous TV entertainer on Canal+ and a digital culture expert.
Each week, two crews of photographers had to take a new photo challenge: happenings, artistic compositions…
Each challenge highlighted a new asset of the brand new camera Nikon J1.
We also asked guests (artists, photographs, AD and bloggers) to give their point of view about the shots.
The new Nikon J1 was at the center of all missions:
- Concept: two creative teams competing around Photo challenges.
- Production: 8 videos (length: 5 min) showing how the teams performed in their missions
- Viral strategy: at the end of each episode, viewers were able to vote for the best picture for winning Nikon products.
- Broadcasting of the videos on the Nikon Facebook page (France), the Youtube channel as well as the Vimeo channel and MyN’club.
- Mediatization: Our philosophy was based on maximizing the benefits generated by quality content: that’s why we created our “free” media space on directstar.fr. Direct Star was a French TV channel (now called D17) expert in music and youngness entertainment.
During this campaign, the three KPI were: impressions, video views and votes for the contest.
The results were better than expected! With 7 challenges and 8 videos, we reached 5 million of impressions, 80 000 videos seen and 14 000 votes for the “Nikon Experience One contest”.